Friday, October 2, 2009

schooling session






















Today we ventured to a friends arena to have a good work out. We floated up and drove the couple of km down the road. I could have ridden but by floating I was able to take coffee for breaks ( how sad am I?) . I met my friend Rachel and her two horses Milly and Reco. They are two gorgeous Clydesdale x horses. Rachel rode Milly first and I rode Trix. Milly is young and I must say pretty full on. Rachel has hunted her but now wants to put lots of schooling into her. She has loads of potential and I know Rachel wants to see her utilise her ability. It was impressive to watch her. Her transitions into a canter are to die for. Then Rachel rode Trix for me. She was able to tell me what I already know ....Trix is hard work to ride. She is nappy and heavy. It made me feel better as I was getting the feeling it was all me. I then got to ride Reco. It was like riding lightness. I was able to concentrate on me and my position. He was so responsive and forward. I felt a lot better about my riding. We managed to beat the rain . With the horses washed down and clean we sat and had a coffee. Even though the weather wasn't the greatest it was a fantastic morning. I sit here now reflecting on my morning knowing I have to pick a small goal...focus on it and let other stuff follow when a get success.Its all daunting!!!!! (Rachel is in the brown vest and I'm the blue)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very fond of draft crosses - substance and sense all in one package, and usually athletic ability as well. Now, if they just weren't so darn big!

How nice to visit a friend and ride with her - thanks for the lovely pics!

jill said...

Lucky you to get a ride in...I'm still trying..rain again tommorrow.
Riding other horses is a really good reality check, for both our riding and how we think about our horses. Sometimes when I ride others horses, I'm grateful that I have mine not theirs, or I aspire to be where their horse is at with my own horse. Does that make sense?

allhorsestuff said...

Oh sweet pictures of heavenly rides!
That Bay with blaze is fantasic..love seeing you and she ride in the nice sand arena.
Fun to be sure and having coffee on the way...perfect!
KK