Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Broccoli

OK everybody its still raining and all I do is get up ....feed and organise kids and horses then head to work....come home and do it all again ( in the rain with the horses of course). Sooooo I have decided to tell you about my school day. I have half my class away doing a film making course so its been really lovely having a smaller group to work with. Today I decided to do the cross country run with my class. It nearly killed me and I'm sure my face was still red at lunch time. But in the name of keeping up and not letting them get away on me I RAN. They loved it( dont know about me) and they have mad ideas that I will do it again tomorrow. We will see is all I said!!!!!!. Our next mission was getting organised for our B for Broccoli day tomorrow. Our school vegetable garden has a lovely crop of broccoli ready to eat so we are going to do research all about this wonderful veg .....apply De Bonos thinking hats to create a wall display, draw it ....cook it and white sauce to dip it in. I will also photograph the kids responses as they eat. Could make for some terrific facial shots.I will include some shots of all this in a day or two.
My class is also doing a lot of work on the Fairy Blue penguin which is threatened at our local beaches by dogs off their leads. We are making big wooden penguins with messages for locals to watch their dogs. We also built nesting boxes so they are a little more enclosed and safer when approached by larger dogs. All this is done along side our local Department of conservation. Mixed in with the above is a good dose of math, spelling, writing, and reading activities
So on that wee note this tired teacher better go rest her sore legs so I can beat the kids tomorrow

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds creative and fun - wish I'd had someone like you as a teacher!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Those kids don't have a chance against a teacher with a will to keep up with them!

Would love to see the pictures of them eating broccoli (not one of my personal favorites). The work you're all doing for the birds sounds wonderful and exciting. What a great way to teach children the value of protecting wildlife.

jill said...

Since I'm not working at the Montessori school this year, I find your post bittersweet.
I did ride past the school playground yesterday and the kindergartners were on the monkey bars. It was fun to wave at them, let them look at the horses and be able to continue our ride. I have to admit I'm enjoying not having to get up and get to school myself every morning!
Sounds like you are managing to have some fun with your class though!!

sally said...

Yep Kate I try to be creative and fun for the kids sake and my own. The education system can bog you down if its not.And grey horse matters my kids loved the broccoli. It is of course much nicer dipped in cheese sauce.
Jill I have to say I love my odd morning off to sleep a little longer.Hopefully with a ride to follow