Sunday, November 7, 2010

weekend rides

Gosh the weeks are just flying by ......cant believe the end of the year is in sight. It slightly freaks me out as there is so much to do between now end then. We have a wedding to attend on the otherside of the country in December... then a couple of days later we have family coming from Queenstown in the South Island, Brisbane- Australia, and Wisconsin -USA. It will the first time my husbands Sister has come from the states to NZ with her youngest daughter so that will be exciting. Jazz came for our wedding 5 years ago but left kids behind. So we are trying to think up loads of Kiwi NZ experiences to make a hot summer Xmas a fun time.But before all that I have end of school year reports to write ( I hate doing them ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
So back to riding .....I finally got round to calling the owner of the property over the road from my parents farm. Roger is an old guy that is a bit eccentric to say the least but he loves me riding over his land . I just like to phone at the start of each summer to check out things and just make sure he is happy about our riding. Each phone call takes ages but is always a history lesson about horses in the past and the role they played. Its quite fascinating ( but I do make a cup of tea to pass the time as well). I started riding over his farm when I was 10 on a short fat welsh pony called Polly .......and still going - just the horse and I are bigger.
With Rogers blessing Kaz and I headed for the hills yesterday. The horses were calmer than the day before when we rode so we had a relaxing ride. First up we rode around the farm here - 350 acres......then a short 1km up the road we cut into Rogers. This farm provides the most stunning
views. We sat at the highest point out of the wind and ate an apple while the horses munched on grass. The farm then drops quite steep down into a gully with a series of dirt tracks. We ambled along these tracks back to the farm sheds where we then came home via the road. I didn't take the dog on the ride as it was over another farm and I had forgotten to ask if it was Ok.Maybe next time.
This farm is about 6ooacres. Roger also has another 300acre up the road we can ride on as well. .No photos sorry .....batteries were very flat.Next time.
Have a great week everyone

5 comments:

jill said...

What!?! No pics!?! I LOVE to see your pictures...the scenery is so gorgeous.
Promise to charge the batteries for next time?.....;-)
Glad you are getting a lot of time in the saddle lately! Take care!

allhorsestuff said...

http://glenshee.blogspot.com/2008/12/going-bitless.html

Hi there Sally with the adorable Aussie accent...me from Oregonwith just the typical American one, with a slurr. My tounge is so big...and amazingly enough...so is WA's!!! That is another reason I like the bitless...she has all the room she needs without being pinched!

The link above is a rather nice post on bitless. I "think" the gal is Arlene's daughter, from grey Horse matters.
Wa, having been tied into frame and also abused severly with a harsh bit..may have some damamge. I know her mental status is damaged so...I like the bitless as she realxes so nicley.

I will begin again slowly, in the arena and will tell you how that goes. My sissy dislikes them for the reason, she thinks it teaches a horse to run through the contact.
My jury is out on that...Iu will have to have her give me some lessons and tell me -WHEN- that is happening.
All I know is, our communication seems great..I use it just the same as a bit..there may be a wee bit less articulation..but nothing bothering me. She goes for contact more willingly and stays there longer.

I am using the "NURTURAL Bitless" bridle. LINK is on my sidebar to the Co. They are nice folks.
Dr. Cooks is okay...if you get one that has a solid crown. I have one that is loose over the crown..so if I pull too hard..it'll jsut slide right through creating uneven reins. I found that out on the beach!

HAHA...read Jills comment-
WOW..you are looking to the end of the year...I'm thinking about thanksgiving. It is weird to think of Christmas being HOT! I think I'd like that though!
Rodger sounds like a nice older chap. Really NICE of him to allow you to ride his lands..kinda like me now, where I am. I CAN"T wait to get my mares EASYWALKER horseshoes back on...305 acres to ride in the flat graveled roads between the trees!!!

Oh Polly sounds neat, glad that he still owns that land too ....OKAY...HOLD IT...Thsoe descriptions are making me really wanna see it too.
I'M WITH JILL..No photo's??
Teehehe
love ya's!
KAC
(next time bring spares!)

sally said...

oooooh am sooooo sorry girls ....will definitly have spare batteries....in fact went to town today and bought a whole pack.So photos next time.
Thanks Kacey for the bitless bridle info. Will definitly look into that more.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

busy times ahead! I like that you take the time to check in with the old fellow.He likely wouldn't mind if you rode after all these years without calling ,but I bet he enjoys the visit

Grey Horse Matters said...

I wish your batteries weren't flat, pictures would have been great. It's so nice of your neighbor to let you ride his land, nice guy. I'll bet he has some good stories from the past.

I'll bet you will all have a wonderful Christmas this year. It's odd for me to think of Christmas in the summer, but I guess that's how it feels down in Florida here in the states. We usually have cold weather and maybe some snow for Santa Claus and his sleigh. Hope you all have a lovely time.