I live on the edge of my family farm that for generations has been the venue for riding horses, dating back to my greatgrandfather who was the first master of the local Hunt Club. It is now where I enjoy riding and training my horses. This blog is now the story of Hokey Pokey, my Gypsy cob cross bred pony.
Saturday, December 3, 2011
farm ride
Today it was HOT!!!. Well in some parts of the world it would only be considered some what warmish but here it is hot. We have had rain over night so today it was 24C with high humidity. The humidity is what kills it for me. Poor Eve she was all hot and bothered by early morning with her summer waterproof sheet on so I took that off and hosed her off. After doing some Christmas shopping I hooked up the trailer and loaded Eve with my Friend Sonya to help. We then trailered up the road about 6km to Sonya's house. For Eve and I it was our first ride out in company and over farm land. I was a tad nervous to say the least. While I'm confident and what I call a good rider...there remains a nervous element when riding a green horse who has not long been backed. I walked Eve for the first 500m before using a bank to mount. The first part of the ride was down a gravel road. The stones were hurting Eve's feet so we ventured into the wide open spaces of farm land with hundreds of sheep all around. Eve was somewhat worried about the sheep as they ran away......but I was pleased that she kept a pretty level headed approach to the situation. We wound our way through trees, over water, along tracks and up and down some steep hills. The whole time it was hot hot hot!!. An air conditioning unit in my helmet would be the answer!. Our final paddock had a flat stretch so I trotted to the gate. It was another small milestone achieved for Eve and I so I went home pretty happy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
You are very brave Sally! Well done on achieving that milestone. I know just how you feel.
Thanks Sharon .... I was out riding thinking of you and Juno embarking on the same journey
.Hope the shoulder is all good
There is a trek in Taranaki run by the hunt club, next year that we will be going to (all going to plan of course!). Any chance you might be there Sally?
I absolutely love Eve! What a beautiful and sensible girl for a young mare. If she's being this good now imagine how wonderful she will be with some more miles on her. Glad you had such a great time.
Christmas shopping, ugh, I'm almost done, just have to finish decorating now.
GHM - yes the gorgeous Eve is simply delightful to say the least. I'm really excited about our future together. All credit to Kirsty who broke her in and had the belief in her ability. I'm still convinced a horse is who it is as a result of a good start under saddle. I would love to have the money to ship my two young ones south to be started by Kirsty. I would then have three beautiful horses.
Have fun decorating for Xmas ....A glass of nice wine makes it festive!!!!. We dont do much on the present giving front. Just buy for the kids and I have Eve for Christmas. What more could a girl ask for!
Sharon......yes am planning on doing the Taranaki trek......yay finally get to meet you in person
Sally, you made a good choice buying a Grey. As you may know, I have a "thing" for them! Love them. Green or not, I have never had any problems with the greys in my group, other I have spoken to feel the same. Must be the calm colour!
Post a Comment