Tuesday, May 1, 2012

crazy weekend

Well I survived the May 1st change over. This date marks the day that all herds of grazing heifers go back to their respective farms. I woke Saturday morning to move herds closer to home and then Sunday morning I was out of bed with day break to be at the yards to meet the first truck which was ready to transport the first load of dairy in calf heifers. 78 went on the truck and then on the back load weaners came in. It was crazy......cows everywhere. . When the day was over all the older stock was gone and in its place was young stupid weanlings.....that dont know what it means to stay behind an electric fence....so after teaching all day I have only had time to get home to change clothes and go again to put stupid youngsters behind electric fences again. Tonight I also had water troughs empty which meant a long painful trip following water lines to find the fault. I got to the original source tonight ....split open water pipes to check flow ...put back together again..... cleaned out blocked dirty lines .....and finally got water flowing. By the time I rode the motorbike back down the road in the dark I was freezing.
 Poor Eve and Pebbles ...they got their food chucked into the paddock and a quick pat and that was that.
 Teaching nearly full time and running the farm on my own is wearing thin......I'm knackered !!!

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

You are really busy, don't know how you do it. Guess nobody has to rock you to sleep at night. Hang in there it should get better once you get some help.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I hear you , farming is a full time job! but so many of us do another full time stint too. Hope it settles soon and you get some rest

Nikker said...

You are a busy bee!! Farming isn't for sissies!
I love those cows! (0:

allhorsestuff said...

Check you out girlie!
Cows, cows and more cows....! Proud of your efforts and determination. You will Get-er-dun!

The horses know you love them...their time will come with you.
XO
Kac