I had a thought last night .....not sure where it came from but was based around expressing where I'm coming from in my showing endeavours. When I was a small girl I ate, slept....and breathed horses( as did my sister). We dreamed of owning our own pony and did every job that came our way to save up for what we wanted. It was a difficult dream to have with a mum that hated horses. She still does!. Anyway we were so focused and got what we wanted. As the years past the ponies became naughty horses that no one else wanted as that was all we could afford. We never went to pony club.....never to shows ....just rode around the farm or where we could go within riding distance. We got to know every square mile for miles. Pip and I had dreams of showing and its only now in my thirties that I have found a horse suitable and have the time and means to do it. My sister in Australia has just started 3 day eventing and is finally realising her dreams. Its a funny thing to see all the kids we rode with when we were little not riding anymore. Perhaps it was all too easy for them and it wasn't enough of a passion. My horses are a passion and have been a life long journey for me , and one that is still defining itself. I'm still not sure where I'm heading but on Sunday my first ribbon was a red one .....my first 1st place. I could have stopped there. It would have been enough of a moment. The others where an added bonus. So now in my life I have done 3 shows, and its more about realising that childhood dream. The icing on the cake is the fact that my Mum (who still hates horses) has realised that both her daughters simply love horses and it was never a passing fad ......and she was thrilled for me when I told her how I went.
Trix and I are still sussing each other out. I hope the show experience will move into hunting....treking.....and hopefully showjumping. The ribbons are gorgeous but not all important. Its all about that relationship between horse and owner and where you take it. So as we head into summer we have a show on the 31st then lots of hacking .....beach rides ....treks .....where to after that who knows .....hopefully a wonderful partnership
P.S Happy birthday Ferngrove Farm blog. We have been going for a year
2 comments:
Happy blog birthday! I know just what you mean - I was completely obsessed with horses as a child and teenager and into college, and then made the mistake of losing them when I started working. But my daughters brought me back, and now I have horses in my life again. I don't regret the lost years - there's no point in that - but just enjoy what I have now.
Alas, my parents thought my horse kick was a passing fancy also when I was a child. Horses kept me sane thru many a trying time, and they still do now. Thank goodness my husband realized early on that horses had to be part of my life in some way and is okay, and even encouraging, about it.
I'm really happy for you. I hope you Trix continue with many happy times.
Post a Comment