Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sunshine and snow

WOW WOW wow was all I could say when I looked out the window and saw the mountain today. It had a huge dump of snow fall over night and boy did it look fantastic with the sun rising. Kacy in Oregon the name of our mountain is Mount Taranaki. It looks sooooo like some of the mountains over your way.
Anyway it was miserable last night. I fed the horses in a sleet like rain. The foals came in for the night and they were more than happy to get out of the wind. The one disadvantage of our property is we have limited shelter in a howling southerly. I have planted trees that will eventually help but they are a few years away from being helpful. The ponies were put into warmer rugs and had soaked hay ( the water stopped it blowing away). They had a bit of shelter so weren't too bad.
Back to this morning .....once I had finished admiring the mountain I got the kids organised and off to school and kindy. I then met my friend . We put her two horses into the float and went off to the pony club grounds . The hunt was cancelled today due to the rain making the ground too wet .So a big group of riders met us . We went for a fabulous ride under the winter sun. I started riding Milly and ended up on Reko. I have ridden him before in Judes arena and posted photos. He is a huge red bay with white markings.......and energy to burn. Rachels horses are so incredibly fit from all the hunting they have done that they just oooze energy. While they aren't hard to ride they take so much energy to sit on and ride such huge expressive movements. Put it this way I rode with my heels down and had to keep my wits about me....and boy did I feel knackered afterwards.
We then sat around in the sun and had a picnic complete with a glass of wine .....all very civilized.
I must say that by riding different horses each week its got to be good for my riding. Each horse is so different and has different buttons .....a different way of being. My brain is really kicked into gear as I suss each horse out and adapt to suit.......watch out Mosaic and Hokey!!!! I'll be an expert when you're broken in!!!!!

3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds like fun. I'm with you and believe the more you can ride a variety of horses the better rider you'll become. It's beautiful where you live it must be so nice to be able to rove the countryside and then stop for a picnic with some wine.

Rising Rainbow said...

Sounds like it was a fun day. You're so right about riding different horses. The more you are exposed to the more you learn.

allhorsestuff said...

OH ! It is always so funny to read your name in someone else's blog! HAHA!
Love your Mountains' name..and it sounds fantastically gorgeous!

I love to ride other horses...you can really glean riding styles and techniques from them!...hope you had fun on the Frisians!
KK