OK Kacey this post is for you.......OMG girlfriend you must have legs of STEEL. I have watched your posts as you have taken on the trails of Oregon .....all on your bareback pad and I must admit not much thought has gone into your riding fitness. Well as you know I have this new wee fellow Diego and we have been having a few issues with making the transition to canter. Trotting one way is fine and the other is shocking. Today I rode him to Judes arena and took the saddle off. Now readers I have not ridden bareback in a long long time. SO there I was BAREBACK trotting around the areana....changing rein this way and that- using the space I had. And I have to say the difference was incredible. No feeling of being unbalanced. Diego stayed on the bit travelling long and low and then worked into a nice frame. He felt great. I didnt go into a canter....I thought I would fall off. But Kacey my legs burnt with the effort. You are a legend for riding so long on your bareback pad!!!!!!!!!!. The one aspect I liked was I really felt close to my horse. I could feel every stride swinging through to the next.
Saddle back on - we rode home. So now I'm thinking I have a saddle issue......where to next. I do know I will school more bareback as we got places. I was proud of me and my horse......but OMG I'm not sure I will be able to walk in the morning .....and nothing happening tonight Hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!
8 comments:
Horses, the ultimate fitness trainers. I found some videos on youtube by a girl in Norway who rides Icelandic ponies in the forest at night bareback without bridle. I think if you search youtube for norway, bareback, night, icelandic you'll find her. If not i'll send you the link.
When I was a kid I rode bareback all the time, because my saddle was heavy and I just wanted to be gone! Now, I don't ride bareback at all... But you've got me thinking! (0:
Of course the snow needs to melt off first, but then....
Good for you for riding bareback. I can understand why your legs are killing you though. Great for getting in shape and getting the feel of the horse too. I don't ride bareback because I'd probably hit the ground in no time flat.
Bareback is sure a workout! I haven't ridden bareback in years ,but I should! Atta girl for figuring it out for you and Diego
best way to fix your sore legs is to get back in the saddle(or barebarback) girl and keep riding....
Yes you guys Its the ultimate fitness and Tash I know I should have got back on the next day but boy the legs are even sore two days on ....JD I will look up that Norwegian girl. My ancestors are Norwegian so hey maybe Thats where I got the bareback thing from.
Grey horse matters - a super clean horse with a coat that shines means I had to grip hard or yes I would have been flat on the ground
Nikker -Hey hey when that snow melts get on minus the saddle. Bikini legs in a flash!
Fernvalley - hope you are settled in home after your holiday ....spring bareback rides real soon!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I'm so tickled, Im crying with laughter!
Well, here is the funny storey how it all began..back when I knew I had the beginings of the saddle fit issue-end of the first year of Wa mare owership.
wanted the "Baretec " bareback saddle..it's dreassagy and balanced, on back order. Got the Cashel soft saddle. added a bumper pad under it for extra cush...did not know how bouncy it would make me and i had to learn how to sit all over again..I mean, EXTRA BOUNCE means ya gotta have springs and jointed hips to absorb that amount!
I learned how. And was schooled by sis to NOT GRIP..got that, after falling off several times.
Up to speed now having to use the bareback pad -all the time- and after learning to push my knee down(as if praying/kneeling-) and flexing my heal down and back towards the flank.
YOU ROCK, for listening to your horse(s)I have been totally amazed with my mare's performance since taking the saddle off.
...tell me your address please, I want to send you some stuff..you'll like it!
kacylovingu@yahoo.com
I don't ride bareback anymoe but have done enough to know that burn. Interesting the ride was better bareback. It would make me look closer at the saddle.
Post a Comment