Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day off

Today dawned cold and crisp ......autumn is here for sure. With that feeling and knowledge in my bones I ordered three and a half cube of pine blocks to mix with all the split wood we have in the shed. I love cold crisp clear winters days, but in the same breath I need to be warm!. I feel a bit like a squirrel of late - collecting hay, berries, wood, veges and storing it away. Isn't it funny how we long for summer days and spend so much of it tidying up after the winter gone and preparing for the one to come.
Pebbles has her winter coat coming and Diego has gone darker and has a little more hair than when he arrived all sleek . I did work with Diego on the long line again. He was geared up to work in a long low frame. The point of the session was to get him going softly - stretching long and low while walking and trotting around. I really wanted him to stretch his muscles and that he did. He was super and then towards the end his trot was really moving out nicely. He was tracking up better and looked more comfortable. Everything is being done simple and slow to hopefully build up his top line. As is was quite warm at about 2pm Diego got a good wash then stood in the sun while I cleaned the shed.
Tomorrow I'm off to the Show jumping ......its meant to pour down all day. So I will take raincoats and boots, along with spare clothes. I would imagine that the big time riders will end up indoors. I will try to get some photos ......till next time ....happy riding everyone

2 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Sally yes,
indeed the changes of season are upon us all~ Our "SPRING AHEAD" time change is in 2 weeks...it is remaing light till after 6pm now...and starting to warm slightly.

I'm so with you....I must stay warm or I turn into one of those large flys, you know the ones that winter over somehow, and suddenly appear...but can't move and are sluggish?!(makes em easy tarkets to swat)

Your hunter gather-er tasks sound good, getting ready for the next.
Love how your sessions are going with your lovely young steeds too~
Havbe fun at the show..stay dry as you can~
Seeya soon!

Ruth said...

The Show in Hawera! I'm going to that too. And then HOYS :P