Friday, April 22, 2011

cattle mustering








































































































This morning started in the dark with coffee and toast while reading the paper. Then it was out to catch my gorgeous boy for a morning of shifting cattle. We dont normally do this job.....just ride through and past, but as my brother is working of a gas and oil company doing seismic testing I'm the cowgirl for the week. The first 4 mobs of cattle my friend Kaz and I shifted with the horses. I would ride ahead and call them....giving them lead/somehing to follow and Kaz would gently push them on from behind. We left dogs behind for the first part of the morning as the young weanlings are quite skittery and it doesn't take much to spook them. Put it this way my mad chocolate lab would just create a disaster!!!!!!. Diego did a wonderful job. He found it quite challenging being up front as the cattle come running up behind. The arab in him came out at one stage - as in the tail kinked up hi and he felt very unsettled. But to his credit he held it all together and coped just fine. We put one steer back behind a fence that had got out .....moved two big mobs of weaner cattle .....moved a smaller mob of cows in with one bull and then later on I swapped Diego for sweatpants, gumboots,kids, dogs, and a 4 wheel motorbike to move the last of the cattle. I'm not sure who had the most fun ......me, horses, dogs, kids or the cows with fresh grass to eat.A lovely day all in all.Sorry te photos are in reverse order ....not sure what I was thinking

7 comments:

Nikker said...

I love the second to last picture with cows, saddle, rump, and sun! I can almost hear the cows bawling!

jill said...

Sally, you are keeping busy these days. I just caught up on your recent posts. Nice pictures as always!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looks like a great day for it , I love moving cows , nothing better when it goes well

Rising Rainbow said...

Looks like the dogs are having great fun in that water tub. They probably didn't even miss moving the cows when they got to play like that.

I don't know how my horses would like a herd of cows pushing up behind them. Pretty sure you'd see plenty of high tailing and snorting going on. LOL

Badger said...

Hey Sally, It's been awhile since I swung by so I thought I would visit for a spell and get caught up. Looks like your doing well :)

cheyenne jones said...

Sorry to hear about your family issues, cant be a pleasant time. But I wish them well and keep your chin up Lass!

allhorsestuff said...

Sally, how totally fun! Good job to you and Diego!

It's what my barn owner its doing these days-cow sorting-penning..with a clinitian (who's name is escaping me)..her horse loved it. She's getting a clinic lined up for our area. Price is too steep for me though $ 4 00.

Out is the real, natural setting...now that's for me! Happy you got to be cowgirl, Awesome! Diego the cowpony!