This week my sister and her partner from Australia were over. On Thursday we had the most stunning day you could possibly imagine. The sun was out ...the sky clear and despite a cold breeze it was perfect riding weather. Recent rain made the footing extremely muddy in places ....up to knees!!! but it didn't matter. We went riding on a property ten minutes inland from my place. The property owner has a mob of horses he has bred for his type of country. A bit on the small side they were made of tough stuff, in fact a lot fitter than I gave them credit for. We rode for a an hour and a half snaking our way up through gullies ....through mud, over streams ....up up up. We arrived at a small bushmans hut where we stopped for a cooked lunch. I had made two salads, bread buns, apples and cookies, and Bill had brought along great big steaks which were gorgeous.This was all washed down with a cup of tea.Our ride from there took us along high steep ridges with thick native forest. There were wild pigs to be seen running up into the hills ( big black...with huge tusks) along with wild goats. The dogs that were with us chased the goats and a small black and white kid was left on the track. I think the dogs were eying it up for dinner so a jumped off my horse and grabbed it. It was small enough to fit in my jacket pocket........so yes nuts in May me brought the thing home. Her name is Buttons and at this very point in time she is asleep in the laundry. During the day she sleeps in the stable. A few planks were nailed along the bottom to stop her escaping. Time will tell as to whether she lives. It is proving difficult to feed. But I work on the idea of little and often. What I will do with a goat when she grows is a mystery ......they tend to be more trouble than they are worth.
So it was an interesting last hour home .......riding along holding a baby goat.But wow what a day!!!!










8 comments:
Sweet of you to rescue the goat. Looks like a beautiful ride !
Totally fabulous!!!
Sally, that was just great and your shots really showed off the country just as you described. Gullys wow!
L ove the bunkhouse!! Tummy yummies you imported, perfect for the ride.
I'm hoping your little kid is surviving...love goats.
Fun times with sister!!! That really was a great ride ...nice in winter!
XO
Kac
Hi Sally! My kind of riding! Fun, muddy, high and great company! Too good to forget.
Hey guys ....yep was fab ride and so far the goat is still alive ....will take it to work with me tomorrow so I can keep giving it frequent feeds.Will certainly give my boss something to think about
Keep persevering with the goat. The last one that arrived home here from the bush took close to 2 weeks before deciding to drink properly.
Sounds like an awesome place to go riding!
Sounds like you had a totally awesome day :)
Thanks Sharon ...think I'm winning the goat feeding battle. Took it to school today.Nothing 60 kids all wanting to touch it!!!!
Your ride looks amazing through such gorgeous country. I'm so glad to hear the little goat is making it. That was so nice of you to save it. I'm sure it was a big hit with the kids.Good luck.
Post a Comment