Sunday, September 4, 2011

working with long lines

This weekend was the most beautiful spring weather. On Saturday afternoon I caught the two boys  ....put on my husbands windbreaker. Now there was a reason for this - its super light and nothing sticks to the fabric so .........brushing out shedding ponies ( loads of white hair ) was made easier because i didn't end up the white hairy beast at the end of the grooming session.




 In a moment of madness I decided to chuck a roller on the two of them and halter with two lunge reins. It all looks a bit messy yes I know ....the rein ends dragging on the ground but I had it all under control and got some fabulous walking around with two lines. The off side rein sitting behind . Neither horse was bothered by the saddle blanket or the girth being tight. .....and it was the first time I had put any pressure on. So it was hugely successful. I will trailer both to the arena next time to have room and a more appropriate place to work.

8 comments:

cheyenne jones said...

Well done you!...Spring eh? Its wetter here than a sponge in a pond! Glad your getting some good weather, think of us going into a really miserable British winter!

Anonymous said...

Good going! I like how unconcerned they were. I'm a big fan of long lines, and I do let the ends trail on the ground - it's a lot easier to deal with than rolling/unrolling the separate lines and let's you do things like changes of direction more easily.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks like they had a good session. I like long lining, it's a great training tool. They are so adorable too. Glad you're heading into Spring and having some nice weather.

sally said...

Cheyenne .....I do feel sorry for you with rain falling. We are having lovely weather.It is so nice to be doing things in dry not up to my eyeballs in mud!!!!
GHM and Kate ....yes the long lines are great fun and I was truly impressed by how quiet both horses were - long may it last!!

Margaret said...

heading into Spring? Do you mean Fall? They are sweet - how tall?

Margaret said...

I see now that you are from New Zealand. Gotta love blog land and the people and places we connect with. So, Summer will be in full swing during our winter. I'm so "American" I don't even know where it is on the map.... is it by Australia. I'm off to google it (wherever it is, it is beautiful).

(Hey, not a bad guess.)

Oh, and I love the rain slicker idea for brushing out the horses in the Spring ... I will remember that!

sally said...

Hi Margaret ....yes we are across the Tasman sea from Australia ....small population of about 4 million / the size of England. We are 3 days away from hosting the Rugby World Cup and the USA is playing their first match here in our area of the country. We are taking our girls to watch and support. We are now officially in the season of spring.
My horses are Gypsy cob crossbreds. They are rising two and should make 15.1hh. At the moment they are 14hh I thinkish???

Sherry Sikstrom said...

they are growing up nicely,the fun begins!