Monday, March 5, 2012

Wild weekend

The weekend started with what the weather man described as a weather bomb .....and bomb it was. Just an hour south of here two small towns were obliterated .....roofs torn out ....1000's of homes without power and entire pine forests were snapped off like twigs...... meanwhile here we had enough warning to move animals to more sheltered paddocks .....secure stuff outside and then basically hunker down. The rain started Friday night and progressively got worse and worse. At 9pm I went out and rugged Eve and Pebbles as they were getting blasted as I knew they would to start .By midnight the wind had completely gone from a northerly to a southerly .....so then the horses were sheltered like I had planned. With the south wind came the sudden drop in temperature. After a wild night with no power and little sleep we woke to what can only be described as a winter day. Snow was in the air .....the rain was coming in sideways and the wind was howling. The horses all got plenty of hay to keep them happy in the unusual weather and we had an inside day
 ......then Sunday the sun came out and there to greet us was the mountain cloaked in snow. It certainly was a rude welcome to the new season .....maybe a warning to the weather ahead!
 Sunday afternoon was spent at Judes arena with Eve . We had a session in the sunshine working on getting me going as well as Eve. I must admit it has been a bit tough getting back into everything lately .....I'm trying to give myself a kick up the bum ....self motivation etc






 Tonight the evening was beautiful so I took a few photos of the gully behind our house looking out over the farm.

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

The weather sounds awful. But maybe it was just a fluke and you'll be spared any more weekends like that for the winter. Love your new header picture and all your pictures. Beautiful place.

cheyenne jones said...

Hi Sally! Thats some weather by the sounds of it!
When I was in New Zealand back in `82!!
It was supposed to be summer. On the day we arrived in Auckland harbour, I distinctly remember shivering and wishing I was wearing my long johns!
But the next day? High 70`s!
Anyway, sounds like you`re getting along ok, good to hear that.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Glad you survived the wild weather and didn't get the worst of it! Parts of the US have been having terrible weather as well with many tornadoes - strange things going on with the weather.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

that does sound like a shock to the system! Glad you rode out the storm safely

Ruth said...

I hope you guys didn't get too much damage.
I know our farm looks like it got hit by a bomb - we still don't know where our calf shed is . . .
Gorgeous photos.

Keepin' Up With The Jones said...

Hi! I just found your blog while browsing through another, I hope you don't mind me visiting!

Feel free to stop by ours anytime at:

www.jonesboysranches.blogspot.com

sally said...

Welcome jonesboys ....glad you stumbled upon my blog and enjoyed having a look
To all my other friends in blogger world I'm glad to report the weather has been great this week and I have had some beautiful rides