Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter riding

I have had a busy Easter weekend of riding. The weather has been picture perfect. In fact you couldn't get better. I did a mix of riding. One day I rode to my friend Jude's arena and di some great work .....followed by a wash down for Eve. I then borrowed a sheet to rug her with while I had a cold drink ( was very hot so a nice ice cold vodka and mix went down well). I then rode home on a dry clean 'non sweaty horse'. The next day Olivia rode her bike and Ella and I rode the horses to my other friends place to muck about in her paddock. It took a while for Eve to settle as there were quite a few horses racing about and she didn't quite know where to look. After a while we got some nice collected work ....I was thrilled and it helped having Tarsh pointing out a few tips ( always well received)
 Then yesterday I travelled with Tarsh about 30 minutes south to Tarata.We then met her friend (who had tarsh's horse as well) and drove another 10 minutes to a farm which was to be our start point. From there we rode for about 3 hours. It was stinking hot and steep!!!!!!. The decline took us onto the most beautiful farm you can imagine. The only downfall was the bloody Emu. It was a case of it spied us ........we did our best to make sure the horses didn't spy 'IT'. You can imagine the chaos it would have created if that thing came racing at horses who had never seen one before.









 Once past the dreaded Emu we followed the Waitara river as it meandered along. We only walked with the occasional trot and canter - one canter saw a few fresh bucks ( picture me freaking slightly!!!!) . I brought Eve back to a trot and then made her canter again .....second time with very firm reins and a head held firmly UP. It was successful!. She enjoyed the ride and I was thrilled. It was her first big ride out in company

7 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

sounds absolutely wonderful!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Your weekend sounds lovely. What a great way to spend time with Eve. You have some beautiful properties that you rode on. Can't imagine coming upon and Emu though. My horses would definitely pee their pants if they saw that. Glad your weather is cooperating too.

sally said...

Fernvalley - yes it was a wonderful ride

GHM - You are so right ...I think all 5 horses would have wet their pants ....and then me too for that matter.The weather has been lovely and as I type we are finally getting rain.Much needed though. We need some growth before it gets too cold

Me, baby and horses said...

Some great photos Sally, all our horses are looking quite chilled out, thank goodness!!...was a great ride next time I think we will have to go from the wool shed.

Terry said...

What a fun filled weekend! Lots of riding!

Rising Rainbow said...

A three hour ride, I can only dream of those days. I'd doing good it I can tolerate 5 minutes which really sucks. Looks like a beautiful ride, I can imagine the emu would cause quite a commotion. I wonder what my "crazy" arabs would think about one of those. LOL

allhorsestuff said...

LOVE*** that countryside of yours!
Nice day and good stuff..EMU- oh crap, we have a time with the charging llamas, now that the Arabian mare is absent to keep them at bay! At least our devils are fenced.

Hoping you get some more rides in a mild wintertime!
KK