Well I have been a bit absent of late ....the summer has just gone on and on and on. We have had one day of rain in 2 months and that one day was on the 4th of Feb. Since then we are nearly in drought mode. The water tanks are low and getting a bit smelly as the dregs are being sucked through. I have no grass whatsoever .....I have horses eating hay and feed but no grass. I'm not complaining yet though as it has been just magical.....one endless 2 month long summer spell.
Now at the start of the autumn season it is still 26C during the day but cooler at night. The kids are still swimming daily and a cold beer at the end of a hot day is still gorgeous.
But for the local farmers it is a complete nightmare. Our region is a farming one that relies on a normally high rainfall to give us the massive amounts of grass we are famous for. Smallish farms stock huge amounts of cows and when we get a hot summer like this it does affect them. The land around us is parched and brown. the ground is cracked....my lawn is dead and there is a total fire ban. I did ride today but boy it was hot and the horses get wet with sweat easily ( which attracts flies).
I promise I am going to get busy with my blog as YES Hokey Pokey is in Auckland getting broken in. I have sent him on a horse transporter to the most amazing place that specializes in breaking in and schooling. So he is in boot camp learning how to be a big boy. They have posted photos on Facebook for me so I will have to cut and paste them here so you can see his progress. I am so excited.....you have no idea. It's like another piece of puzzle in the Hokey Pokey story fits into place.
On another positive Mosaic who lives with Gerri in the South Island now is also under saddle and is going well. Gerri has sent me photos so I will post these as well.
Eve the gorgeous grey is going from strength to strength with the most incredible family of girls who all ride her as well as Mum and Dad. She is out competing and I get photos every week. I do feel truly blessed that horses that have meant the world to me are so happy and being well used and loved.
Now it is 4.30 .....still stinking hot and that cold beer is calling before I do the evening rug change/muck out/feed
2 comments:
Sounds like all the horses are doing well. That must be gratifying.
It's hard to picture you being so hot when we're having a snowstorm right now. 8 inches already but it should warm up for the weekend. Hope you get some rain soon.
Arlene With Snow, Me With Windy Rain, Last Post....(Actually It's Sunny Now, Fickle Spring).
You Sound Terrific!!!
Actually, It's Okay Sal....Blogging Is Like That, When You're Out And About In Summer, Who's Got Time??
Your Hokey Sounds Like He'll Be Ready For You Soon, Eh? Please Do Post Pics...If Ya Can. And Eve Wow...ALLThose Family Members Ride HER. She'll Be Ready For Winter!
Sorry For TheDrought...That Is Bothersome For Farmers.Scarey Too, For Fires. We Had That Last Year, Here. Couldn't Even Have Fires In Your Yard, Contained.
Your Beer, In The Hot Eve Sounds Lovely....Put Your Feet Up And Begin Again Tomorrow.
KK
Post a Comment