Thursday, June 24, 2010

chasing horses

Monday morning was your worst nightmare as a horse owner .....the phone call in the early hours.....dark , wet , cold ......and I had the flu. My brother had called to tell me there was a horse up the road towing half a fence. I went into panic mode as I had just moved my foals to a paddock with lots of grass about a kilometre from here. He then said no it was a horse in a red cover. Whiskey the pony has a red cover !!!!!!......so I flew out of bed , into clothes and went flying out to the paddock grabbing a biscuit of hay as I ran past the shed. It was too dark to see much but I was expecting to see the fence in bits......but no it was in tact. Two little faces looked over the fence wondering what the heck I was doing. They liked the idea of hay though. I ran back to the car and drove up the road trying to think which horses around had red rugs. I could see the lights of my brothers ute along with 3 other up the Kaipikari hill. I parked between them , grabbed a halter and lead and raced on foot. I could hear the sound of fence being dragged. The boys helped me stop the horse. You couldn't see her......she was in black rug. I told my brother he was colour blind. He then replied "well its got a bit of red on it!". ( it was the binding on the bottom). Put it this way he is not horsey!!!!. The horse was Rosie, my friend Sonya's . I got a halter on her and 4 of us pulled and clipped the wire away from her. I pulled her around into the light of the cars and apart from the odd nick here and there she was fine . She had a really top of the line 1200 denier weatherbeeta rug on and I would say that is what saved her.
As it turned out she had gone through a post and rail fence and at the same time took out the electric wire outrigger. Sonya is still none the wiser as to why she went through it. It will probably be one of lifes mysteries.
So after all the drama I ended up back in bad getting over my bout of winter flu.
Basically at the moment I am in winter mode. The rain is never ending. The mud gets worse and worse. I really dont think I remember rain this bad before .....sure we get bad rain going into spring but not this torrential never ending soggy mess. I dont know if my paddocks will ever recover. I'm thinking pens with sand might be the way to go for next winter to try and get the horses out of the mud and standing onsomething solid.
Mosaic and Hokey are at our friends where they have a lovely sheltered field with heaps of grass. Debbie is giving them a token gesture feed each day and we are just trying to give them a bit of time out from being over handled . I have a trainer coming next week to work with them next weekend.He will teach me a few things to do with them then they will go back out again to just be kids. They got on the horse float fine although backing out was a challenge ( oh for an angle loader)
on a positive note we are now on the downhill to summer .....yay

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very scary - so glad she wasn't hurt!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Oh my! that will get your heart in your mouth! glad she was OK

jill said...

It's so curious to me how they get themselves into those situations.
Thank goodness she's ok.
Hope you're having fun with your new little ones and ponies.
Yes, I like the blue door too.
My neighbor just told me this morning that it makes her smile
when she passes by it.
Take care of yourself!

Sharon said...

That could have ended up a whole lot worse than it did. Lucky pony

Grey Horse Matters said...

Well that's no way to wake up, especially when you've got the flu! Glad to hear the horse in the "red" blanket wasn't hurt. Feel better, your summer is on the way.

allhorsestuff said...

Oh Sally dear!
Bless your heart(beating as it was)for going out to rescue that mare! I would of done the same...so happy it was not worse too!
Yep, a divine mystery, that one.

SO sorry for your illness and for the rains that have seen fit to visit you now-with vengeance.
I will be faithful to encourage you, as you did me as wee got records and buckets and smatterings of it,ere now-just his month! worst sine 1888...so they say.

Hang in and heal up...take you time, and maybe the weather will brighten for you too..my prayers for this!
XO
KK

Rising Rainbow said...

What a nightmare! That would get your heart pumping for sure. Glad to hear that Rosie is ok.

If you are on the downhill to summer then we are on the downhill to winter. We haven't even had summet yet so that thought gives me chills. What a weird year it has been weatherwise.

sally said...

thanks everyone for you kind words. Rosie is doing fine with just a little swelling and Sonya is just thankful she is OK.Rising rainbow yes I'm counting down the days till summer. We have had sooooooo much rain and it has been cold.Not snow cold ...but frost and sleet cold. I think I'd actually prefer the snow. All I have is mud.