Sunday, March 27, 2011

Opening Hunt for the winter season









This morning dawned dark and moody ,with grey clouds and of course rain. The sound of the rain drops on the roof was not a welcome sound for the first hunt of the season. Doing my best to be positive I finished getting organised......all my gear into the car and hooked the trailer up. I then drove to my friends house to collect Barney. Since I'm without a hunting horse this year my gorgeous friend so nicely loaned me the use of hers. It was a team effort to get him washed, trimmed, plaited and rugged ready for the trip to the hunt. The rain threatened all day but didn't come thank goodness. I did have a rain coat rolled up in my saddle blanket pocket but it stayed there. We had a fantastic day. It wasn't a huge crowd The rain stopped many from thinking it was still on. Barney and I didn't disgrace ourselves over the fences and hedges and made it home safe ! Yay!!!!!

11 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

OH my ! you are into the winter season and I amn still waiting for spring! Looks like a fine day .And BArney is a handsome fellow

cheyenne jones said...

Good days!....Used to hunt here, till they banned it!!!
Now we dont have so many. But glad the turn out wasnt stopped by the rain!

Rising Rainbow said...

What a beautiful braid on that tail! I have not mastered such a nice, tight, even looking braid. Mine look fine from a distance but would never withstand such a close up.

Barney looks to be a very nice horse. Glad you had a successful ride and that the rain stayed away.

Hurricanes12 said...

barney is very cute! :)
all this hunt talk on all these kiwi horse blogs are making me want to take oscar out, though he'll probably buck me off

sally said...

Hurricanes12 -yes the horses all give the odd buck. Barney threw a few in ...the trick is to start the season a bit unfit....well thats what I do. By the time they are finished the first few bucks they run out of puff and settle to what they are meant to be doing....jumping hedges. You can go as quietly as you like or as mad as you like. Be brave and give it a go
Cheyenne ...I did wonder if you did still hunt in the uk. When I lived in London I used to go up near Rugby and help the grooms take out the hunters for the hunt yard. You could always take a trip here to NZ for a bit of hunting...plenty of spare horses floating around.
Fernvalley ....I m sure spring is hiding around the corner!!!
RR - Yes Barney did look gorgeous with his plaits. He is a lovely boy and I'm lucky I'm allowed to borrow him

cheyenne jones said...

I was in NZ in `82. Saw quite a bit of your wonderful country. Spent some time in Auckland, Dunedin and Wellington.

Me, baby and horses said...

That tail plait I did looks great in that photo..lots better than I thought it looked..Barney looks great his puku is a little porky but the green jacket looks great on him..Hope you get to take him out lots more...

sally said...

Tash yes you did a great job of the tail plait. With a bit more practice we will make the perfect team on the plaiting front.....HOY here we come. We'll win the turn out classes

cheyenne jones said...

You both can practice on my lot!

sally said...

Cheyenne yes we will happily come to the great UK to plait tails......just let us know when and where we can find our tickets.....could always do farmwork to pay off the excess. We are good farm girls.....!!!!!!1

Grey Horse Matters said...

The pictures are wonderful. Glad you had a good time and made it home safe and sound. It looks like a lot of fun.