Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Pre Christmas weekend

This weekend has been a bit of a funny one. A headache that has lasted 4 days has been a bit of a drag ....I seem to have it under control. Maybe it is all the Christmas pressures ....the social expectations. I love Christmas but sometimes I hate the rush and expectations made by work events...the pressure to spend . To me Christmas should be about family and friends, giving (not necessarily money/ store bought gifts) ....celebrating life.......and it must be said having the time to escape on my horse. When I was a teenager we used to go to my Aunty and Uncles and have Christmas lunch. In the afternoon my brother ,sister and i would escape home cross country. My sister and I would then ride our horses. It was a lovely way to spend Christmas afternoon.
 Anyway because Christmas day this year will be a tad busy I'm doing my Christmas day riding early. My Christmas Eve and I ventured around the farm with a friend...and of course crazy Crockett..
 I walked the first part to ensure Eve was settled then I got on. We rode across the farm. Eve finds the sheep jumping out from strange places a little unsettling ....but hey who could blame her. We tried to make the whole ride quiet to get her used to the farm terrain.Some of the hills are steep and then at the top you find flat fields with herds of 50 heifers or more. They are so curious that they come galloping over. A big herd makes a big noise and can be frightening. Poor Eve wasn't sure about them, but after a while seemed to relax.



 Today we had a very small schooling session......and yes it was small as the pet lamb (sheep size) decided she was missing out. Every time we tried to trot Lillyana the lamb thought yahoo can I join in!!!!. then of course the dog was in and the goat would have been there but she was tied up....so proceeded to make a huge din. I gave up after a while .....but on a positive Eve is fast learning to cope with a slightly mad family environment

5 comments:

wilsonc said...

Absolutely love the photo of all the cows gathered at the fence watching you all ride by!

sally said...

yep aren't they cute ....well at least when they are still.when they are frolicking they can really set the horses into a complete tailspin

Grey Horse Matters said...

Eve seems to be settling in nicely even with all the ruckus at the farm. I might be a little spooky too until I got used to the activity.

Christmas is always so busy and so much work. It should be about family and all the other pressures should just go away. Have a lovely time riding this Christmas.

Margaret said...

Ah, what a lovely horse you have. (and the cows are so funny!)

Unknown said...

I fully agree with you on your Xmas thoughts...I too love it as a family time when we give time and companionship rather than mountains of material goods.
I hope your headache is gone for good!