Meet Izabelle ( Izzy for short)......my summer ride. She is 5 years old and roughly 16hh. Her breeding is unknown .....a bit of lots of things,a Gisborne bred from the East Coast of the North Island. From my first impressions there are lots of things that she is lacking and could make her quite a challenge. My plan is to fix these things and make her nice for her next rider.
Firstly she has never really worn a rug and is quite nervous about me lifting one towards her .....so that is something we have started putting on and off daily. Second is she hasn't really been travelled by horse trailer before so that will be a major starting next week, she is nervous about the busy stable area ....as in kids, dogs, cars, balls being bounced. So the kids are being encourage to keep doing their thing so she gets used to it all. She seems ok with traffic but we will be wary to start with, and in the meantime I have her fenced alongside the road so she has to get used to the trucks and cars.
She has no top line and no butt end so we have lots of muscle building to do .....her mouth is not what I call soft but we will explore some different bits and have her teeth done, her neck is like a giraffe and she doesn't know about accepting a contact and working low and round .....lots of work there too. I would say her start in life has been a bit rough. But what we will do is be kind .....treat her well and take things slow and make sure all the day to day little life experiences become easier so that she can cope with the bigger things
4 comments:
Sounds like she has landed in the perfect spot! Enjoy ! Summer huh? well you have seen what I am dealing with , am I jealous? YUP YUP YUP
I didnt get the photo of Izzi, but I`m sure you will do well.
Looking forward to reading more about her, and pics!
I'm sure by the end of summer she will be much farther along and more confident. She's in good hands. Didn't get any pics of her.
Post a Comment